Sustainable and alternative living doesn't have to be overwhelming, expensive or mysterious. It's all about self-educating, sharing what you've learned and taking baby steps. Muffins for Tuppence is your simple, no-nonsense guide to help you through that process!

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can Your T-Shirt Plant A Tree? Too Bad, Mine Can!

If someone told me their T-shirt could plant a tree, I would tell them, "You're a filthy, disgusting liar. Get out of my face. I don't appreciate being made a fool of, Son. Yo' momma tell you's ugly? 'Cuz you is." Why the overreaction? Because I'm super gullible and fall for 95% of everything I'm told. So when I catch on to your dirty little untruths, I freak out.

Luckily, said scenario didn't happen. But if it did, I would have googled "shirt plant tree hoax" for the sake of sending that liar a follow up "I told you so" email. Then I'd feel like a guilty idiot because, as it turns out, SOME T-SHIRTS DO PLANT TREES. And when I say some, I technically know of one clothing line that does this, Tees for Change.

Tees for Change offers inexpensive
tees with inspirational and positive graphics and/or text.

Personally, the text tees are lame bananas. They're so darn positive, I want to punch them. I'm sticking to the simple graphic designs. Not only because they are cool(er) beans, but also:

1) The materials used at Tees for Change are all fair trade, organic and sweat-shop free.

2) Though I'm not a big fan of the rounded neckline and shorter, capped sleeves, their tees are good looking enough... I guess. Okay, okay. I'm not that excited about their designs.

3) Most significantly, if you purchase one of their tees, Tees for Change will team up with Trees for the Future to plant a tree.

Thanks to your $32 shirt, environmentally degraded areas in Asia, Latin American and Africa get a tree to help re-enrich their ecosystems. What does that mean? Better soil, cleaner air, sustained agriculture, protection of indigenous/agricultural cultures and peoples, preservation of diversity for local flora and fauna; and, of course, reduction of global warming. HUGE THINGS.

No comments:

Post a Comment